The Skilled Independent visa, also known as visa subclass 189, is designed to attract invited workers with special skills required by the Australian society. If you meet the requirements, you can live, work, and study permanently anywhere in Australia. The points-based subclass 189 visa is based on specific employment abilities. If the visa is granted, invited residents benefit from many of the same rights as Australian citizens.
Getting your Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) can take a lot of time. From submitting your EOI and getting an invitation from the Department of Home Affairs is the Department of Home Affairs recently updated their visa processing times. Before, the average visa processing time for a Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) is between 7 to 8 months. Now, the average visa processing time is between 8 to 9 months and there is nothing much we can do about it.
Conditions And Requirements For Visa Subclass 189 Application:
Skilled Independent Subclass 189 applications are accepted only by invitation and in order to get invited to apply for this, one must:
- - Be experienced in the nominated position on Australian SOL (Skilled Occupation List)
- - Got skill assessment done through authorized assessing authority for the particular occupation
- - Submit an EOI
- - Must be above 18 years of age and below 50 years during the issuance of invitation
- - Fulfill basic skilled migration requirements such as health, character, and English language proficiency
- - Must secure a minimum of 65 points on the points table
It is important to note that once you get an invitation to apply for this visa, you then get 60 days to submit your visa application online. The invitation letter that you receive contains all the required information that you need to follow while the visa process. Invitations are granted basis your claims mentioned in your EOI when you are invited for this visa. The application should include all information declared in your EOI and must be backed by pertinent evidence.
How to apply 189 Visa Australia
Below are the step-by-step instructions on how to apply for 189 Visa:
- Step 1: Check the Skilled Occupation Lists to see whether your profession is listed. Only those who can fill a position on this list are eligible for this visa.
- Step 2: Double-check that you fulfill all of the eligibility criteria. (We have discussed the eligibility criteria above for your reference).
- Step 3: Take a skills evaluation. To be eligible for the Subclass 189 visa, you must take a Skills Assessment and receive an acceptable score. Your score must fulfill the requirements outlined in your invitation letter. The DHA website has instructions on how to acquire a valid Skills Assessment.
- Step 4: After that, you must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI). You will be asked a series of questions about your background, talents, and relevant job experience. Australian authorities will see your EOI and make it available to Australian companies to recruit someone with your skillset. You will be asked to apply for the 189 visas if you get a nomination or sponsor and your EOI satisfies the visa’s conditions.
- Step 5: Find a sponsor or get a nomination from the government. It would help if you were sponsored by an employer or family member, or nominated by a state or territory government, to apply for the Skilled Independent Work Visa (subclass 189). Once you’ve found a good sponsor, they’ll give you a letter inviting you to apply for the visa.
- Step 6: Apply for a Skilled Independent Work Visa (subclass 189) and wait for the response.
Visa Processing Time for (Subclass 189)
Due to its distinctive circumstances, processing timeframes might vary significantly, and each application is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The length of time it takes is determined by the completeness of the application and accompanying papers, requests for more documents or information, and the time it takes to execute any necessary checks.
If you need to provide additional information on health, character or national security to the external authorities, you can take extra time. The number of available slots in the migration program will also impact the total processing time for permanent migration visa applications. Therefore, it’s critical to know the processing times and potential delays while applying for a Skilled Independent subclass 189 visa.
Now, the average visa processing time is between 8 to 9 months.