If you are an international student who recently graduated from an Australian educational institution, you can apply for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) and work in Australia on a temporary basis. It has 2 categories.
Graduate Work stream:
You can stay and work in Australia for 18 months if you are:
- • An international student who finished 2 years of study in Australia.
- • Graduate with a qualification within the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
- • Having skilled assessment relevant to that occupation
Post-Study work stream:
You can stay and work in Australia for 18 months if you have:
- • graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian institution regardless of your field of study.
- • student visa which was granted on or after November 5, 2011
The Subclass 485 Visa Requirements
- • Valid only for 18 months
- • Each degree, diploma or trade qualification used to meet the Australian study requirement is closely related to your nominated skilled occupation.
- • You must provide evidence that your nominated occupation is on the Skilled Occupation Lists (SOL) and that your skills have been assessed by a relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated skilled occupation.
Eligibility criteria for Subclass 485 visa
The persons who are interested in applying for the subclass 485 visa have to fulfill the following eligibility criteria
- 1. The applicant for visa subclass 485 must be less than 50 years of age
- 2. The student visa for the applicant should have been granted on or after 5th November 2011
- 3. The total study period for the applicant to be eligible for the visa subclass 485 should be 2 years or 92 weeks
- 4. The applicant should hold an eligible visa
- 5. The applicant should have met the requirements for Australian study in the last six months
- 6. The applicant for visa subclass 485 is required to meet the criteria for health and character.
- 7. The applicant needs to have health insurance in Australia
- 8. The applicant needs to have met the specific requirements of the stream for which he is applying under subclass 485.
- 1. A person holding the visa subclass 485 can bring his family to Australia under the same visa
- 2. A person can live in Australia even without a sponsoring employee
- 3. A person can use the stay period to look for a job, work in Australia, and if he so wishes to apply for a more permanent visa and Immigrate to Australia
- 4. A person can stay for a minimum of two years in Australia under the visa subclass 485 and can search for a job during this period
The applicant for visa subclass 485 is required to have met any one of the English language criteria IELTS, OET, PTE, TOFEL and CAE.
Benefits of visa subclass 485
Any person who has graduated from an educational institution in Australia can apply for this visa, the visa provides the following benefits to its holders